A lot of people have heard of The Alexander Technique but are less sure what it is or what it can do for you.
The Alexander Technique is a natural physical practice that you can learn to get the best out of your body.
It has 3 broad benefits.
1. Relieves pain or injury
You learn – how to reduce muscular tension throughout your body and increase your own co-ordination, alignment and balance.
You can expect to:
- Reduce and free yourself of muscular pain, most commonly back, neck, shoulder, sciatica, RSI.
- Get better results from physical activity but actually feel like you’re putting in less effort.
- Find it easier to exercise without injuring yourself.
- Ache less after exercise.
- Walk, run, move more easily and for longer periods.
- Reduce the strain and tension you feel doing regular tasks.
- Gain tools you can use to manage tension related conditions, such as tension headaches.
- Learn how to move and pick up heavy objects more easily, from weights to shopping, from suitcases to children.
2. Improves physical performance
You learn – how to optimise your voice, body language and physical movement.
You can expect to:
- Improve your communication skills
- Speak more clearly with more resonance in your voice.
- Deliver stronger presentations and performances.
- Quieten down any distracting body language, for example, fidgeting,
- Manage physical signs of stress and anxiety more calmly and effectively.
- Come across more authentically to others.
- Engage your audience better and for longer periods.
- Feel less tired after performing.
3. Accelerates Personal Development
You learn – How to listen more effectively and deeply to your inner self.
You can expect to:
- Feel more grounded, and less easily swayed by others.
- Make decisions more easily.
- Experience greater impacts from body-mind activities such as meditation, breath-work and yoga.
- Increase alignment and connection between your thoughts and your actions.
- Increase how patient you are.
- Show more sensitivity to others.
- Find it easier to look after yourself in difficult situations.
- Feel more delight and respect for the power of your body.
For each of these benefits, the actual process of learning the Technique is the same; first you learn to attune and listen better to your body and then you learn how to respond in the world more effectively, without getting distracted by all the external stimuli in your environment.
Why is Alexander Technique a great practice for a good life?
- It gives you the tools to notice ineffective habits and replace them with better choices.
- The majority of the practice is invisible so you can literally practice it ANYWHERE.
- You’ll be able to make your everyday activities more comfortable for yourself – whether that’s drawing, painting, sitting at a computer, being on the phone, caring for someone or being outside all day. Whatever you do the technique will offer you wisdom about how to do it well.
- You’ll be happier in and more appreciative of your own body.
- You’ll feel more relaxed.
- It’s 100% natural.
- It’s very gentle – with no manipulation or cracking involved.
- It will help you rely less on medication for pain related issues.
- Your teacher can help you with any specific issue or pain that is troubling you.
- It will give you heightened levels of self- awareness.
- It will invite you to think about your health in new ways, making self-care less of a chore and instead something to feel passionate about.
- You’ll feel more in control of your life.
- It asks you to be curious, to explore and this is great for your brain.
- It empowers you to take control of your health.
- It is a great investment: you learn it once and use it forever.